One of the goals in the Project SEARCH curriculum is to educate interns in the area of self advocacy. Interns will display an understanding of self-advocacy skills by:
- Showing understanding of one’s disability
- Understanding the rights and responsibilities as defined by law pertaining to people with disabilities.
- Demonstrating the ability to properly disclose one’s disability
- Describing particular accommodations that may be needed and how to ask for them to appropriate individuals
- Describing how to access community service agencies based on an individual’s needs
- Displaying self-advocacy skills in meetings that focus on future planning (IEP’s, Employment planning